Friday, May 23, 2014

"It's a String Thing" #41

String 026 - River, Riverstones, and Ripples (variation)
I'm not thrilled with my efforts this time, but I learned a few things.  Mistakes are part of growing, right?
 
I used Riverstones without the river part.  I've done it before.  Maybe it's because I'm from the desert.  I don't know.  It just didn't seem to fit.  Sometimes just the stones are enough.
 
But what I learned from was when I tried to do Ripples.  I penciled in lines parallel to the legs of the M shape in the original string.  These created diamonds.  I planned to do traditional Ripples in these diamonds (which I didn't), but erase the pencil lines afterward so there was no visible grid (which I did).  I started putting the S shapes in the diamonds.  Suddenly I noticed I had done one of the S shapes backwards.  At first I got frustrated.  I didn't want to start over, but I also hate mistakes.  In order to fix it I ended up using S shapes both directions, overlapping, in each diamond.  Then I added just a single loop off the center where the two S shapes crossed and filled it black (rather than the multiple loops of varying shades).  It looks very different from the original Ripples, but it's kind of a fun design.  Who knows?  Maybe I'll use it again sometime.
 
So mostly I learned to be forgiving of my mistakes and look for new options when they happen.  Very Zentangle.

No comments: